Grad Alumni Profiles: Michael Nace

Each week, for the next few weeks, we'll be talking with an alumnus/a from our graduate English program, catching up on their studies and/or careers. This week, we'll be talking with Michael Nace, MA '08, the Brand Director for Rare Disease Advisor with Haymarket Media.

1. What do you do at your job? What are some advantages and some challenges

of working in your field?

I am the Brand Director for Rare Disease Advisor (RDA), which is part of Haymarket Media’s network of Advisor websites. RDA is a news-driven web brand that fills informational gaps within the rare disease community with much-needed news, perspectives, and resources. Our goal is to foster increased awareness of rare diseases and decrease the time to diagnosis — a nearly-universal problem among those with rare diseases and disabilities.

As Brand Director, I am responsible for every facet of RDA’s operation. I was initially brought into Haymarket to launch the brand, given my experience at another company specializing in rare disease medical communications. With a background in digital news publishing, I designed and launched the website and its editorial workflow, which is 100% remote. Additionally, I play an active, consultative role in supporting business development efforts for the brand as well as strategic planning,  audience creation, marketing efforts, and account management.

Having a background in writing that includes digital content chops is particularly valuable in the medical communications industry. If you can combine these skills with a keen understanding of sectors within the industry, it can prove quite valuable to companies such as Haymarket. This is particularly true if you can combine writing and editing with a background in biology or the life sciences. I highly recommend pursuing medical communications, as there is a pressing need for business professionals with strong writing, editing, and communications skills.

One of the early challenges of transitioning from the world of academia to the private sector is that, while writing may remain front and center in your work experience, the subject matter is completely different. I had planned on completing my PhD and exploring life as a Literature scholar. Trading that pursuit for the business world is a profound change of pace. Making that jump is a challenge, but you get the hang of it quickly.


2. Did the Nova English MA help you get your job or succeed at your job?

If so, how?

Honing my skills as a writer and learning how to communicate complex ideas formed the foundational building blocks of my career. Having an MA in English from Villanova led me to work early on as a copywriter — first at a company and later as a freelancer. As I grew my client base, they pushed me to learn new skills in addition to writing, such as search engine optimization (SEO), social media, and digital content writing. In the early ‘00s, these were niche, novel skill areas, and having a background in writing enhanced my ability to add digital marketing expertise to my suite of services. Eventually, a freelance opportunity turned into a full-time job that introduced me to digital news publishing and medical communications. None of this could have happened if I didn’t identify primarily as a writer and content creator.   


3. Does the English MA help you in areas of your life outside of work?

If so, how?

I believe very strongly that an education in the Humanities affords people a real advantage in their lives — both professionally and personally. The study of Literature is a noble intellectual pursuit that will enrich your life, irrespective of whether or not you end up doing it for a living. Becoming a close reader and thinker develops a critical, intellectually curious mind that transcends novels, poetry, and literary theory.


4. What advice would you give to folks considering applying for an MA in English?

I would tell prospective students to follow their love of reading and writing, and not worry so much about whether their degree immediately translates into a specific career path. When I was attending Villanova, I never would have thought that I’d end up in the private sector. My plan was to eventually earn my PhD and teach at the university level. Life has a funny way of putting us on paths that we never would have expected.

As someone who has hired and managed dozens of people in my career, I can tell you that having an MA in English is an excellent degree to hold when applying for a wide range of roles within medical communications. On the editorial side, we’re always actively looking for professional writers and editors with advanced degrees in English. Beyond that, there are several areas within Marketing that also directly benefit from business professionals with a background in English. So, even though you are studying Literature in Villanova’s Graduate English department, you’re also building valuable skills in the background that are sought after in many industries. Trust that you’re going to come out of this program as a well-educated person who can add value to a school, a business, and the community at large.



Comments