Grad Alumni Profiles: Franki Rudnesky

Each week, for the next few weeks, we'll be talking with an alumnus/a from our graduate English program, catching up on their studies and/or careers. This week, we'll be talking with Franki Maria Rudnesky, MA '22, a staff writer with the Philly Voice.

1. What do you do at your job? What are some advantages and some challenges of working in your field?

As a staff writer, I research, interview sources and curate information to write articles related to the happenings in Philadelphia and the surrounding region. I particularly love writing about all the vibrant events, restaurants, fashion and people that make the city unique. I always enjoyed writing, social media and being creative, and this job allows me to marry so many of my interests together. It can be challenging to experience writers’ block at times and to find new and interesting story ideas, but many of the skills I learned through my studies allow me to push through.


2. Did the Nova English MA help you get your job or succeed at your job? If so, how?

Yes, I definitely think my English MA from the prestigious Villanova University made me stand out as a candidate to be considered for a role at a respected media outlet in Philadelphia. During my interview, I talked about my thesis work which helped me to express my creativity, critical thinking, research skills and work ethic. Every day in my job I use those skills which the MA program helped me to hone.


3. Does the English MA help you in areas of your life outside of work? If so, how?

The classes I took as an MA student allowed me to gain new perspectives on the books I read and media I consume outside the classroom. The program has also given me many friends who I keep in touch with often. Along with hanging out and visiting each other, my group of friends from the English MA program also bounce ideas off one another that help us in our respective fields and think about our future career goals. I also feel like I have a strong base and connections if I decide to pursue further education in the future.


4. What advice would you give to folks considering applying for an MA in English?

I would say that while you should be certain that you’re interested in studying and researching literature, you should not worry too much if you’re not yet positive what type of literature you’re most interested in pursuing for your thesis or studies beyond the MA. For example, I know that my literary focus shifted through the classes taken, pieces read and discussions had during my two years in the program. I would urge prospective applicants to talk with someone involved with the program, whether student or staff, to find out whether the types of classes offered here align with your interests, and to visit campus if possible to see whether it could feel like home.

Also, I would highly recommend looking into the many graduate assistantship options available at Villanova University – As a GA for the Honors Program, I was awarded full tuition and a stipend, which made my grad school experience possible in the first place. I also gained valuable experience and made many connections through my position.


Franki Rudnesky MA '22



Comments