Grad Alumni Profiles: Alex Liska

Each week, for the next few weeks, we'll be talking with an alumnus/a from our graduate English program, catching up on their studies and/or careers. This week, we'll be talking with Alex Liska MA '21, Director of Retention & Sponsored Programs at Neumann University. 

1. What do you do at your job? What are some advantages and some challenges of working in your field?

Until recently, I served as Coordinator for Student Affairs at Neumann University, but I have recently accepted the position of Director of Retention & Sponsored Programs at Neumann. As Coordinator for Student Affairs, I supported the student experience through a myriad of functions including event planning, assessing campus engagement, parent and family engagement, building campus traditions, advising the budgets of the Student Government Association and all clubs, and more. Something that was both challenging and immensely rewarding in that role was fostering the growth of student leaders by helping them discover their own worth and potential. I am now very excited to embark on the new journey of Retention work here at Neumann, as another way of supporting the student experience and excellence at Neumann University.

2. Did the Nova English MA help you get your job or succeed at your job? If so, how?

The Villanova English MA helps me in my present work because it gave me the skills to digest, understand, and apply the ideas in dense texts such as scholarship on Student Development Theory and studies about campus engagement. It made me a more critical thinker and a better professional.

3. Does the English MA help you in areas of your life outside of work? If so, how?

Following the proud tradition of Catholic higher education at Villanova University, I am currently a happy member of the Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults (RCIA) program here at Neumann University. I owe a great debt to 'Nova for exposing me to Catholic culture and thinking, both inside and outside of the classroom. Texts I encountered in the English MA at Villanova such as the immortal Confessions and Boethius' Consolation of Philosophy (thanks, Dr. Hunter!) continue to aid me in my spiritual journey today. 

4. What advice would you give to folks considering applying for an MA in English?

Dive in! A wonderful journey awaits you. But, when pursuing any advanced degree at any institution, I always recommend having a comprehensive but flexible plan of what you wish to do with the degree afterwards.



Comments