Meet-a-Student Monday: Sam Dugan

Where are you from?
I'm from Wayne, PA.

What do you do outside of grad school? Where do you work, and what are some of your hobbies?
I'm a high school English and French teacher in Center City Philadelphia. Outside of school, I love to write creatively--I write poetry and creative nonfiction, primarily. I also like going hiking, and I like to sing. 

Favorite text you’ve read in a class this semester? 
I really liked "Ahistorical" by Valerie Rohy, which we read for Mary Mullen's session on Historicism, Presentism, and Anachronism in the Theory course. It was a really interesting reading of "Ligeia"--personally, I wouldn't have thought to read the text that way and I appreciated doing a queer reading of such a classic text.

What are some areas of study you're considering?
I've become really interested in the idea of the archive and the limitations of the traditional archive in its dominant structural form, as well as transnational and Black feminist movements. I think those are probably the things that have grasped my attention the most. 

Favorite book?
Dracula by Bram Stoker!



Comments