Irish Studies Podcast and Lecture TONIGHT!

This post by guest blogger and first year grad student Caitlyn Dittmeier.

This past Monday I had the opportunity to interview Professor Jill McCorkel, a professor of Sociology and Criminology at Villanova, for the Irish Studies Anniversary podcast series. As a former Irish studies minor and now a graduate student continuing my studies in Irish literature, I was so interested to learn more about her research in Ireland last year. Professor McCorkel has been investigating the U.S. criminal justice system for many years, visiting prisons and serving as an advocate and consultant for wrongful conviction cases. For any new place McCorkel travels to, she makes sure to visit the prisons in the area-performing participant observation and having honest interviews with prisoners and prison staff. I really admire her ethnographic approach to research because it allows her to listen closely to the individual stories and experiences that speak to larger issues of injustice.

As Professor McCorkel told me about her sabbatical in Ireland, it came at no surprise to me that she dedicated her time to visited prisons all around Ireland, Northern Ireland, and Wales. McCorkel's primary focus of her research abroad was to explore how the rights and policies for incarcerated parents and their children in Ireland offer a unique counterpoint to the U.S.

I learned so much about from my conversation with Professor McCorkel and I am excited for you all to have the chance to tune in soon to the podcast!
Until then, you can learn more about Professor McCorkel and her work at her lecture "The Auld Triangle: Law, Prison, and Punishment in Ireland" TONIGHT at 5:30pm in the East Dougherty Lounge.

Comments