Rebecca Buckham

Rebecca Buckham recently sent us this update:

After completing the requirements for my M.A. in English at Villanova, I began a doctoral program at The Johns Hopkins University, where I am now a second-year student. I know that my application was competitive due in large part to the rigorous coursework and dedicated faculty support at Villanova. The program provided a solid stepping-stone to the work I'm doing at Hopkins, much of which is heavily theoretical. My classes at Villanova integrated a lot of theory into the close-reading of primary literature, which helped me begin to make the transition to literary study that straddles (and hopefully bridges) the worlds of literature and theory.

Other opportunities at Villanova pointed me toward further graduate study. I was fortunate to be awarded a Graduate Student Summer Fellowship, which allowed me to travel to London to present a paper at the Ninth International Milton Symposium in 2008. This looked great on my applications, and was of course a wonderful scholarly experience.

I continue my interest in early modern studies at Hopkins, where I hope to further integrate my commitment to ecological issues into my scholarship. Last semester (Fall 2009) I participated in a ten-week course at the Folger Shakespeare Library in Washington, D.C., which introduced me to the incredible collection of primary material housed at the Folger, as well as taught me much about book history and digital resources for research in the field. I did some research on Robert Hooke's _Micrographia_: turning the pages of this seventeenth-century book and unfolding its groundbreaking illustrations was unforgettable.

As I move into the second year of the program at Hopkins, I am most excited to begin teaching as a T.A. for an undergraduate Shakespeare course. I lead a weekly discussion section with twelve students, and we are located a bell tower.  The ceiling is very high, the room is flooded with light, and there is a staircase that wraps around the inner walls on all sides and joins several "balconies." I told the students that we have some great staging if they're interested in performing any of the scenes we come across!

Comments